The Cessnock Community and Youth Development project (CYDP) is designed to support and resource young people and the network of community services working with young people in the Cessnock LGA.
CYDP positions are funded to instigate initiatives and build community capacity with a focus on young people in a particular LGA. The Cessnock CYDP, based at Kurri Kurri Community Services (KKCS), proactively assists with new program development and local infrastructure. The position aims to maintain local youth services networks, while increasing the development and implementation of appropriate youth sector training and information up-dates.
- Representing Cessnock Youth Services and young people on a regional level
- Providing awareness and understanding of current issues faced by young people
- Assisting young people in voicing their own opinions
- Identifying the needs of young people and facilitating the development and coordination of resources to support them
- Advocating and lobbying on behalf of young people to ensure their needs are considered in the development of programs and policies. School-based programs
- Youth Week activities
- Cessnock Youth Entertainment Committee
- Youth events and holiday activities
- School welfare planning/programs
- The annual Regional Youth Development Officers Network (RYDON) conference
- Training and resources to local youth services